Split Pea Fritters (Baya Kyaw)
- 1.5 cups soaked yellow split peas (from about ¾ dry, soaked overnight in water)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red chili peppers, minced
- ½ ear sweet corn (about ½ cup)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ cup cashews
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Peanut oil for cooking
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the soaked peas with all remaining ingredients.
- Blitz until well combined and a thick batter forms. Add a few tablespoons of water as needed for the batter to blend, but take care to not add too much. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a large bowl and stir in the remaining ½ cup soaked peas. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the batter to thicken.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp peanut oil.
- While the oil is heating, make the batter into balls by scooping 1 tbsp at a time and gently rolling between your palms. Set aside. You should make about 20 balls.
- Place a few balls at a time into the hot oil. Gently press down to flatten into a patty of desired thickness. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip. Note that thicker patties will take longer to cook.
- Repeat cooking for the remainder of the batter. Add more oil as needed to keep the fritters crispy and from sticking to the pan.
- Remove after both sides are golden brown and crispy to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve fresh with tamarind dip (recipe below).
Nutrition Information (per 30g fritter)
70 calories, 3g fat, 8g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g protein.
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch (about ¼ tsp) salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice (juice of ½ small lime)
- Dash fish sauce
- Water, to thin
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Add water to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings and flavours as you’d like. You can make sweeter, saltier, sourer, etc.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in a covered container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information (per ¼ recipe)
30 calories, <1g fat, 2g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g protein.