A day in the life of Bre - FORM Nutritionist
Okay, the title of this recipe might be deceiving. You can’t wave a wand and a bowl of soup appears, sorry.
This recipe is simple (7 ingredients), takes just a few minutes, and is magically comforting.
Feeling ill? Stuck in the rain? Hungry but don’t know what to eat? Reach for a bowl of chicken soup and you’ll instantly feel better, I promise.
The magic really comes from the stock (broth) that you use. Avoid the broths made from bouillon cubes or chicken powder, as those are full of sodium, artificial flavours, and often MSG (not dangerous or harmful, but some people are sensitive to the ingredient). It’s simple to make your own stock at home. We love this recipe [https://www.garlicandzest.com/easy-leftover-rotisserie-chicken-stock/] using a rotisserie chicken, as you can use the chicken for a few meals and use the extra bones and meat for homemade soup.
What foods do you find most comforting or magical?
Bre - FORM Nutritionist
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small wedge pumpkin (about 500g), diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 100g cooked chicken, shredded
- 500mL (2 cups) chicken stock
- 500mL (2 cups) water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot and pumpkin. Let cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, stock, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Let cook for 10 minutes, until the carrot and pumpkin are cooked through.
- Taste and season as needed. Option to serve as is, or blend to a smooth, pureed consistency.
Nutrition Information (per ½ recipe)
270 calories, 14g fat, 21g carbohydrate, 5g fibre, 18g protein.