Over the years it has been hard for me to stick to a consistent workout routine, have a good diet and endlessly try to stay in shape for the long haul. So, I decided to change it up with these simple questions to myself:
- Why are my workouts good at the beginning but boring now?
- How did I make progression at the beginning but not now?
- How do I get consistent and fun workouts all at the same time?
The truth is I have learnt to ask myself if my workouts are benefiting my daily lifestyle, hobbies, goals and if not, I need to mix it up.
I’ve learnt over time that by personalising my workouts to fit my style of training has significantly increased my motivation to do it, see more progression and stay consistent with it.
In my family, myself and my sister are both competitive and enjoy staying fit and healthy and have our own hobbies moulded around working out. I love playing soccer, therefore, my workout program has been designed to help me progress in my hobby, but my sister absolutely loves boxing therefore even though we are both consistently working out we train in different ways?
Once I realised I could be creative and mould my workouts to help me in my hobby, I thrived! By adding drills into my workout, it gave me more motivation to keep pushing towards my fitness goals.
While some workout variables may be similar in speed and endurance it’s super important to tailor your program to what you love and what gets you through the sweaty grind!
Here are my 3 top tips to get you started on mixing it up:
- Change your program up every 4-6 weeks
- Highlight exercises you avoid and don’t like – often the exercises we hate are the ones that are the best for us!
- Set a big goal and little goals throughout the progression of getting to the big goal. A great way to do this is through SMART goal setting:
S – Specific / M – Measurable / A – Achievable / R – Realistic / T - Timebound
I hope you guys can learn from my fitness journey and try to adapt these to your workout routines! Keep moving.
P.S. If you’re interested in working out with me, just give me a shout at email@example.com
Aein - Personal Trainer